Felix Sets Mariners All-Time Record for Wins
After becoming the Mariners career leader in strikeouts earlier this season, Felix Hernandez picked up another club record tonight at Safeco Field. With his 146th career win in the Mariners 5-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays, Felix passed Jamie Moyer for most wins in club history.
Felix tossed 7.0. innings, allowing 2 runs on 4 hits while walking 2 and striking out 4. With the win tonight, Felix joins Colorado’s Jorge De La Rosa as the only active pitchers to hold their respective club records for career wins and career strikeouts.
Here’s how Felix’s outing unfolded on ROOT SPORTS.
Here’s how Rick Rizzs called the final out of Felix’s 146th career win on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Felix now owns the club records for wins (146), strikeouts (2,175), innings pitched (2,306.0), quality starts (232) and starts (341), while closing in on several other all-time Mariners marks. Hernandez ranks 2nd in shutouts (11) and games played (341). Tonight, Felix surpassed Moyer in career wins with the Mariners. Moyer won 145 games with the Mariners between 1996 and 2006.
Hernandez earned 143 wins before the age of 30, which ranks 24th all-time and puts him in the conversation with the likes of Greg Maddux (150), Dizzy Dean (147), Tom Seaver (146) and Juan Marichal (144). Hernandez ranks ahead of such legends of the game as Walter Johnson (139), Sandy Koufax (138) and Ferguson Jenkins (135) for wins in his 20s.
Win #1 – August 9, 2005
Felix earned his first career win in his Safeco Field debut on August 9, 2005, tossing 8.0 scoreless innings while allowing just 5 hits and striking out 6. In his Major League debut five days earlier, Felix became just the 3rd 19-year old to debut as a starting pitcher, joining Dwight Gooden and Todd Van Poppel.
Win #100 – April 22, 2013
Hernandez picked up his 100th career win on April 22, 2013 in Houston, blanking the Astros over 6.0 frames while striking out 9. At 27 years and 14 days old, Felix became the 6th-youngest pitcher to record 100 career wins since divisional play began in 1969. During that time, only Dwight Gooden (24.215), Bert Blyleven (25.076), Fernando Valenzuela (26.162), Don Gullett (26.199) and Vida Blue (26.361) reached the century mark at a younger age than King Felix.
A Perfect Win – August 15, 2012
Perhaps the most memorable win of Felix’s career so far came on a sun-splashed Wednesday afternoon at Safeco Field. On August 15, 2012, Felix tossed the first perfect game in Mariners history, retiring all 27 Tampa Bay Rays batters he faced while striking out 12. It was the 23rd perfect game in MLB history and stands as the most recent perfecto. For Hernandez, it was his 96th career win.
Felix Hernandez Win Notes
- Since his debut in 2005, Felix ranks 4th in wins (3rd among active pitchers) with 146 behind CC Sabathia (162), Justin Verlander (159) and Dan Haren (147).
- Felix leads all pitchers since 2005 with 36 wins in one-run games. The next closest starting pitchers are James Shields and Jered Weaver with 29 wins each in one-run games.
- Felix set his single-season career high in wins with 19 victories in 2009, which ranked tied-for-first in the American League along with Sabathia and Verlander. Only Jamie Moyer and Randy Johnson have won more games in a single season in franchise history. Moyer won 21 games in 2003 and 20 games in 2001, while Johnson also won 20 games in 1997.
- Other than his 79 career victories at Safeco Field, Felix’s most wins in a single ballpark are his 11 wins at the Oakland Coliseum.
- Felix has earned 22 wins against the Oakland Athletics – the most against any club – followed by 17 victories vs. the Texas Rangers, 14 against the LA Angels and 10 wins coming vs. the New York Yankees.
- In 36 career interleague starts, Felix has a record of 19-9.
- Felix owns at least 1 win against all but four clubs, the Chicago Cubs, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals. Felix has made just 1 start against each of those teams.
- Among pitchers born in Venezuela, Felix ranks second in wins behind former Mariners right-hander Freddy Garcia (156 wins).
- Felix has won a game in eight different months (March, April, May, June, July, August, September and October). His most wins in a single month are 28 career victories in August, followed closely by 27 wins each in April and June.