Seager’s Journey to 100 Career Home Runs
With one out and the score tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 4th inning Monday night at Safeco Field, Kyle Seager worked the count to 3-1 against Astros starter Doug Fister. Sitting on a 3-1 fastball, Seager deposited a solo home run into the right-center field bleachers. The round-tripper not only gave the Mariners a lead they would not relinquish, it marked 100 career home runs for Seager.
The Mariners 3rd round draft pick in 2009, Seager becomes the 12th player to hit 100 home runs with the Mariners, joining Ken Griffey Jr., Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Alex Rodriguez, Alvin Davis, Raul Ibañez, Bret Boone, Jim Presley, Ken Phelps, Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre.
Seager also becomes the 7th player to hit his first 100 career home runs with the Mariners – a list that includes Davis, Phelps, Presley, Griffey Jr., Martinez and Rodriguez.
Here’s how the home run unfolded on ROOT Sports.
Here’s how the home run sounded on 710 ESPN Seattle and the Mariners Radio Network.
And here’s how the milestone home run looked through the lens of team photographer Ben Van Houten.
FIRST CAREER HOME RUN
Kyle connected for his first career home run on August 19, 2011 off Wade Davis in Tampa Bay.
CLUTCH HOME RUNS
One of Seager’s most memorable home run performances came on April 23, 2014 vs. Houston. Kyle drilled a two-run home run in the bottom of the 7th inning to bring the Mariners within one run of the Astros, 3-2. With two on and one out in the bottom of the 9th, Seager proved clutch once again, clubbing a three-run walk-off home run to right field. Seager accounted for all 5 RBI in the Mariners 5-3 victory over the Astros at Safeco Field.
GRAND SLAM HOME RUNS
Kyle has found success with the bases loaded, prompting grandma to get out the rye bread and the mustard on three occasions. Since 2013, Seager’s 3 grand slams ranked tied-for-5th in Major League Baseball. Only Chris Davis, Edwin Encarnacion, Mike Trout and teammate Nelson Cruz have hit more grand slams than Kyle Seager in that time frame.
Seager went yard twice, including a grand salami, while driving in a career-high 6 RBI in a 7-6 win on May 26, 2015 at Tampa Bay. It was one of six career multi-homer games for Seager.
SEAGER HOME RUN NOTES
- Seager is one of seven players to record at least four 20-homer seasons with the Mariners, joining a list that includes Griffey (9), Martinez (8), Buhner (8), Ibañez (5), Rodriguez (5) and Boone (4).
- Seager’s 100 home runs since his rookie season in 2011 rank 6th among Major League third baseman behind Adrian Beltre (138), Evan Longoria (126), Pedro Alvarez (115), Todd Frazier (113) and Josh Donaldson (110).
- Since making his debut with the Mariners in 2011, Seager has increased his home run total every season. Kyle belted 3 home runs in 53 games in his rookie season, followed by 20 in 2012, 22 in 2013, 25 in 2014 and 26 last year.
- Seager reached 100 career home runs in 706 games and 2,673 at-bats. By games, Seager ranks 10th in Mariners history by number of games to 100 home runs. Seager also ranks 10th in club history by at-bats to 100 home runs (StatsPass).
- Seager has hit 36 game-tying or go-ahead home runs in his career, including last night’s 4th inning blast.
- With last night’s home run, Seager has now gone yard in back-to-back games 12 times. Seager homered in 3 straight games August 28 – 30, 2015.
- Seager became the first player in MLB history to hit a game-tying grand slam in extra innings by going yard in the bottom of the 14th against the White Sox on June 5, 2013.
- Other than his 37 home runs at Safeco Field, Seager’s most home runs in a single ballpark is 8 round-trippers at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas.
- 35 of Seager’s 100 home runs have come when Kyle is batting 5th in the order. Last night’s solo homer was his 8th career when batting 6th.
- Seager has turned around the first pitch of an at-bat for a home run on 15 occasions, but he has hit 27 home runs with 1 ball, 0 strikes – the most of any count. Seager has now gone yard on 3-1 count 7 times.
- Seager has homered 15 times against the Texas Rangers, the most versus any club. Last night marked his 8th career home run against the Astros.
- On his 100 career home runs, Seager has collected 169 RBI.