Morning Recap – Montgomery’s 1-Hitter
Mariners rookie starting pitcher Mike Montgomery threw a 1-hit shutout last night, his second consecutive shutout (5-hit shutout 6/23 vs. KC).
Here are some pretty cool facts about Montgomery’s 1-hitter:
- 1-Hitter – Recorded the 10th 1-hitter in club history, and first since Jarrod Washburn on July 6, 2009 vs. Baltimore…was the 13th 1-hit shutout in club history.
- Back-to-Back Shutouts – Just the 7th time in club history a pitcher has thrown consecutive shutouts, and first time since Freddy Garcia July 1 & July 6, 2001.
- Rookie Back-to-Back Shutouts – First rookie pitcher in MLB to throw back-to-back shutouts since Cleveland’s Jeremy Sowers in 2006…12th rookie since 1980 to throw back-to-back shutouts.
- 6 Starts, 2 Shutouts – According to the Elias Sports Bureau, became the fourth pitcher over the last 40 years to record at pair of shutouts within the first 6 starts of a career: Fernando Valenzuela (1981), Orel Hershiser (1984) and Jeremy Sowers (2006).
- Scoreless Innings – Will take a 18.0 scoreless innings streak into his next start.
- What a June – Made 6 June starts, going 3-2 with a 1.62 ERA (8 ER, 44.1 IP)…8th-lowest June ERA in Mariners history (min. 5 GS) and led all MLB rookies in ERA for the month of June (K. Graveman, OAK, 2nd with 1.93 ERA)…2nd-lowest ERA by a rookie pitcher (min. 5 GS) in club history in any month trailing only a 1.45 mark by Matt Young in May 1983 (1.45 ERA).
Here is a video recap of Montgomery’s 1-hit gem:
And some social media posts that helped ‘Mike Montgomery’ trend nationwide last night: