With the 2014 season now completed, we put the following information together on Felix Hernandez and his amazing season. We are hopeful Felix will win his second American League Cy Young Award, and the below information supports the cause.
FELIX HERNANDEZ | Cy Young Award
- The Record – 15-6, 2.14 ERA (56 ER, 236.0 IP) in 34 starts (27 quality starts).
- ERA Title – Claimed his second AL ERA title with a 2.14 mark ahead of Chris Sale (2.17).
- Low ERA – ERA of 2.14 was the lowest by an AL pitcher since Pedro Martinez recorded a 1.74 mark in 2000.
- Strong Finish – Posted a 1.66 ERA (7 ER, 38.0 IP) in 6 starts in September (2-1, 3 ND).
- WHIP Leader – Had the lowest WHIP in the AL at 0.915, the lowest by an AL pitcher since Pedro Martinez in 2000 (0.737).
- AL Leaderboard – ERA (1st, 2.14), Opponent Batting Average (1st, .200), Innings (2nd, 236.0), Starts (T1st, 34), Strikeouts (4th, 248), Wins (T8th, 15), Strikeout-to-Walk Ratio (5th, 5.39), Strikeouts per 9.0 IP (5th, 9.46).
- The Felix Quality Start – Set a Major League record with 16 consecutive starts allowing 2 or fewer runs in at least 7.0 innings May 18-August 11…old record was 13 straight starts by Tom Seaver in 1971.
- 200 Strikeouts – Is the only pitcher to record 200 strikeouts in each of the last 6 seasons (since 2009)…recorded his 6th consecutive season exceeding 200 strikeouts and 200.0 innings pitched; tied for 3rd-longest streak in MLB history behind Tom Seaver (9, 1968-76), Roger Clemens (7, 19867-92) and Walter Johnson (7, 1910-16),
- Opponent Batting Average – Led the AL with a .200 opponent batting average.
- Opponent On-Base Pct – Recorded the lowest opponent on-base percentage in the AL at .243, the 3rd-lowest by an AL pitcher during the designated hitter era (since 1973), trailing only Pedro Martinez (.213 in 2000) and Justin Verlander (.242 in 2011).
- OPS & Slugging – Held opponents to a .546 OPS (2nd in AL) and .303 slugging percentage (2nd in AL).
- You’ll Get 7.0 – Pitched at least 7.0 innings in 24 of 34 starts, 2nd-best in AL (Price, 26).
- 2 of Fewer Runs Allowed – Allowed 2 or fewer runs in AL leading 25 starts (Kluber 2nd with 23).
- Team Leader – The Mariners were 22-12 when Felix started on the mound…posted an 8-4 record and 2.10 ERA in 19 starts following a Mariners team loss.
- No-Decision – Recorded a 1.88 ERA in 13 no-decisions (2.09 run support average in no-decisions).
- Sabermetrics – Ranked 6th in the AL in overall WAR (2nd amongst pitchers) at 6.2.
- All–Star Starter – Was the starting pitcher for the AL in the All-Star game in Minneapolis (scoreless inning, 2 K).
And here are some videos of King Felix: