Gold Nuggets – Welcome to the Sunshine State
Throughout the season, Mariners broadcaster Aaron Goldsmith will provide content on From the Corner of Edgar & Dave, giving a behind-the-scenes look at the Mariners players and organization. Today Aaron looks ahead to the series starting tonight vs. the Tampa Bay Rays, and gives a little weather report about the humidity in St. Petersburg .
- 22-year-old Erasmo Ramirez will make his fifth start of the year tonight — his first since August 3 at Baltimore. The righty has allowed an average of 4.5 runs/game as a starter this year but is 3-0 thanks to receiving a team-best 6.25 runs of support per start.
- Ramirez will square off against the reigning AL Pitcher of the Month, Chris Archer. With a pair of complete game shutouts against the Astros and Yankees, coupled with a 0.79 ERA for the month, Archer seemed fairly deserving of the award. He features a 95 mph fastball and a dirty slider that’s holding opponents to a .115 average. He’s allowed two extra-base hits to right-handed hitters in 13 starts. Finally, he’s also an avid reader.
- With 48 days until the post-season, the Rays have 46 games left to play.
- If you’re keeping track of the Top 5 defensive plays of the year, add this to the list.
- Happy Birthday to Mariners pitching prospect Taijuan Walker (turns 21) and Mariners Hall of Famer Jay Buhner.