Mariners Update – June 24
The Mariners will have an off day today, with many players and staff participating in the 28th Annual Mariners Care Golf Tournament to benefit Cystic Fibrosis Foundation at the TPC at Snoqualmie Ridge Golf Club. We’ll post some photos of the event later today. Meanwhile, here are some tidbits to catch you up on Mariners Baseball, with lots of fun facts about yesterday’s exciting walk-off 6-3 win over the A’s…
Kendrys Morales hit a pinch-hit walk-off 3-run home run yesterday to give the Mariners a 6-3 win and a series victory over the first-place A’s. Here are some fun facts about the Morales HR:
- It was just the second walk-off pinch-hit home run in club history, as Ken Phelps hit the only other walk-off HR as a pinch hitter on Sept. 3, 1986 vs. Detroit (tied 2-2, hit 2-out PH HR off Bryan Kelly in the bottom of the 9th inning).
- It was the first pinch-hit HR by a Mariners player since Luis Rodriguez, Sept. 14, 2011 vs. the Yankees (12th inning).
- It was the second walk-off HR (4th career walk-off hit) for Morales. His only other walk-off HR was when he was with the Angels, hitting a grand slam against the Mariners (off Brandon League) on May 29, 2010. Morales was injured during the celebration at home plate and missed a season and a half.
Not to be overshadowed by the walk-off homer by Morales was another clutch performance by Raul Ibañez. Ibañez hit a pair of home runs, including a 2-run home run in the first inning. Ibañez leads the team (and T6th in the American League) with 17 home runs. Raul also is also tied for the AL lead with 8 home runs in June (with Evan Longoria, Chris Davis, Adam Dunn).
Down on the farm, there were some notable performances worth sharing this morning…
- RHP Erasmo Ramirez struck out a season-high 10 batters in Tacoma’s 5-4 win over Fresno. LHP James Paxton struck out 11 in the previous game, marking the first time Tacoma’s starting pitchers struck out 10+ in back-to-back games since Aug. 14-15, 2001 vs. Colorado Springs (Brett Tomko – 12, Denny Stark – 11).
- SS Brad Miller homered and drove in 3 runs to extend hitting streak to 19 games for AAA Tacoma.
- OF Julio Morban was named the Southern League Player of the Week. Morban hit .400 (10×25) with 3 doubles, one home run, 9 RBI and 6 runs scored during the opening series of the second half against Mobile. Morban currently leads the league in batting with a .328 average and ranks 2nd with a .522 slugging percentage.
- First round draft pick DJ Peterson hit a grand slam (2nd pro home run) to lead Everett to a come-from-behind 6-5 win over Hillsboro. 1B Justin Seager hit a walk-off single to improve the AquaSox to 8-2 on the season.
- The Mariners minor league affiliates combined to go 7-1 yesterday, with the lone defeat being a 4-3 loss in 11 innings by the Peoria Mariners (Arizona League).