Mariners Update – June 23
A few tidbits to catch you up on Mariners Baseball before team takes on the A’s in the rubber-match of the three-game weekend series at Safeco Field (1:10 pm)…
- The Mariners entered yesterday 1-32 when trailing after 6 innings and 3-42 when tied or trailing after 7 innings, but pulled off the biggest comeback win of the season. Raul Ibañez hit a game-tying 3-run HR in the 7th inning and Nick Franklin plated the go-ahead runs with a 2-run single in the 8th inning.
- It was a good night down on the farm, with several players turning in impressive performances:
- LHP Danny Hultzen started for the Peoria Mariners (Arizona League tonight)…he allowed 3 hits, 1 run and struck out 8 in 5.0 innings.
- LHP James Paxton struck out a season-high 11 batters in 6.0 innings tonight vs. Fresno (98 pitches/67 strikes).
- SS Brad Miller has extended his hitting streak to 18 games tonight for AAA Tacoma.
- 3B DJ Peterson hit his first professional HR in G#1 of Everett’s doubleheader vs. Hillsboro…the 3-run HR in the 6th inning proved to be the game-winner for Everett (3-1 win). You can here the audio call of the home run by Everett AquaSox radio announcer Pat Dillon.
- Tomorrow is the Mariners 28th Annual Mariners Care Golf Tournament to benefit Cystic Fibrosis Foundation at TPC Snoqualmie Ridge. Several current and former Mariners players are scheduled to play attend the event, including tournament co-chairs Raul Ibañez and Justin Smoak. Since 1986 the tournament has raised approximately $4.87 million for cystic fibrosis research.
- We stumbled upon www.minorleaguecentral.com, which provided some interesting figures about the youth on the Mariners current roster (and in the farm system). The Mariners active roster features 6 players under age 25 (Zunino – 22, Franklin – 22, Capps – 22, Triunfel – 23, Beavan – 24, Medina – 24). Seattle has 4 of the 15 youngest players currently on AL rosters. Additionally, Taijuan Walker (20) is the youngest player in the PCL (2nd-youngest in AAA) and Julio Morban is the 5th-youngest in the Southern League. LHP Luiz Gohara (Pulaski) is one of a handful of 16-year-olds playing minor league baseball stateside.
- Poster Boy: All kids 14 and under will receive this sweet Michael Saunders poster today.
- Mariners All-Access: This week on Mariners All-Access on ROOT SPORTS Jen Mueller gets ready to Turn Back the Clock. On Saturday, June 29, when the Chicago Cubs come to Safeco Field, the Mariners and Cubs will turn back the clock to 1909. Michael Morse and Justin Smoak got their hands on some bats and gloves from the early 1900s, and former Mariners greats Julio Cruz and Ruppert Jones also weigh in on how equipment has changed since their playing days. Brad Adam goes one-on-one with Kuma to find out about his life before coming to the U.S. and how he found baseball. There’s also a recap of Saturday’s United Way of King County All-Star Softball Classic that raised over $1 million to help homeless youth. This week’s Mariners All-Access debuts today at noon. The program airs again on Monday, 6:30am and 6:30pm, Tuesday at 6pm, Wednesday at 6:30pm, Thursday at 10pm and Friday at 6pm.
Quote of the Day:
“He likes to be up in those situations. I just like the way he plays so aggressively. He does it offensively, he does it defensively and he does it on the base paths. I just think you are a better baseball player when you play with no fear. And that’s what we’ve seen with him.”
- Eric Wedge talking about Nick Franklin
Photo of the Day: