Mariners Daily Update – June 19
As much as possible, we are going to update Mariners fans on daily events and fun facts about the team. Here is your update for June 19:
- The Mariners got back on the winning side of things with a 3-2 win over the Angels last night in 10 innings. Kendrys Morales provided the game-winning single with 2 outs in the 10th inning to score Kyle Seager. Raul Ibañez and Justin Smoak hit back-to-back home runs in the 2nd inning to back another solid start from Jeremy Bonderman.
- Speaking of game-winning RBI by Kendrys Morales, the switch-hitter is tied for 2nd in the American League with 9 GWRBI.
- Nick Franklin keeps swinging a hot bat with a current 7-game hitting streak. Since making his debut May 27, Franklin is batting .296 (6×21) and has recorded a hit in 15 of 19 starts.
- Raul Ibañez keeps on swinging it, belting his team-leading 14th home run of the season.
- Congrats to Yoervis Media for picking up his first Major League save with a 1-2-3 10th inning.
- The Mariners made a couple of minor league roster moves this morning, with infielders Chris Taylor and Ramon Morla being promoted from High-A High Desert to AA Jackson. Taylor (.335, 16 2B, 7 3B, 7 HR) and Morla (.303, 17 2B, 3B, 10 HR) were both off to excellent starts for the Mavericks and will join the Jackson Generals.
- SportsPress Northwest writer Adam Lewis penned a nice feature on Kendrys Morales and his relationship with a former teammate in Cuba.
- Mariners first round draft pick DJ Peterson is expected to make his professional debut tonight as the designated hitter for the Everett AquaSox. Peterson was the subject of a nice feature story in the Seattle Times that ran earlier this week.
- The Mariners take on the Angels in the third game of a four-game series tonight in Anaheim (7:05 p.m.). Here is the statistical game preview (lots of info) provided by Baseball-Reference.com. And here are links to the Mariners and Angles pre-game notes for tonight’s game.
“I felt great. I felt like I hit three balls hard. It’s one of those things where I have to keep doing the work and stay where I’m at right now.”
– Justin Smoak on his first game back from the DL. He hit a HR on the first pitch he saw in the 2nd inning.
Photo of the Day:
Tweet of the Day:
Packing again….Seattle tomorrow! 👍—
Austin Wilson (@AustinHWilson) June 19, 2013