Gold Nuggets – Mariano Rivera meets with Mariners Fielders
Throughout the season, Mariners broadcaster Aaron Goldsmith will provide content on From the Corner of Edgar & Dave, giving a behind-the-scenes look at the Mariners players and organization. This weekend he sat in as Mariano Rivera met with a group of our Mariners Fielders pre-game.
The legend that is Mariano Rivera is retiring soon. Make no mistake, despite his elite numbers once again this year, the 43-year-old is adamant that this is his final season.
Known almost as much for his character as he is for his cutter, Rivera came up with the idea to pay a visit to those who work “behind the scenes” at all the ballparks the Yankees visit this season. Friday at Safeco Field before batting practice, the future Hall of Famer met with roughly a dozen Mariners student employees.
I was fortunate enough to be a fly on the wall in this very special roundtable that lasted around 45 minutes. Rivera talked about everything from his cutter to his church work. Here are some of the quotes from the Yankees’ closer I scribbled down.
– On finding success: “Ask yourself what are your tools? What do you need? What will you face?”
– “We are all going to fail.”
– “If you love where you are, you’re in the right place.”
– “The Lord gave me a pitch.”
– “I always try to stay level.”
– “The best tool we have is being humble. That’s not being soft.”
– “You have to pray.”
– “Only you can stop yourself.”
– “Love and passion move everything.”
I realize this is a jumbled list of quotes, but hopefully it gives you a glimpse of what makes the game’s greatest closer so successful.