Another King Felix Shutout
Felix Hernandez won his 9th consecutive decision last night, throwing a 5-hit shutout in the Mariners 1-0 win over the Twins at Target Field.
Here are some notable facts about the latest of King Felix gems thrown this season:
- Felix recorded his third 1-0 shutout victory in the month of August. Only two other pitchers in Major League history recorded have three 1-0 shutout wins in a calendar month: Carl Hubbell for the Giants in July 1933 and the Braves’ Dick Rudolph in August 1916.
- Is just the third pitcher during the divisional era (since 1969) to have four wins with the score 1-0 in a single season (all CG shutouts), joining Hall of Famers Fergie Jenkins (1974) and Bert Blyleven (1976)…Don Drysdale and Bob Gibson also recorded four 1-0 shutouts in 1968.
- Felix joined Mark Langston (September 1988) as the only pitchers in Mariners history with 3 shutouts in a month.
- The shutout was his fifth this season (6/28 vs. BOS, 7/14 vs. TEX, 8/4 at NYY, 8/15 vs. TB, 8/27 at MIN), setting a Mariners club record for a single season…Dave Fleming (1992) and Randy Johnson (1994) held the previous record with 4 shutouts in a season.
- Felix’s 5 shutouts are tied for the most in a season by an American League pitcher since 1989 (Bert Blyleven in 1989, Roger Clemens in 1992, David Wells in 1998).
- All five of Felix’s shutouts were in a 12-start span beginning June 28…he is the first pitcher since Randy Johnson in 1998 to record 5+ shutouts in 12-start span.
And here is a look at Felix’s statistics for the season and his some incredible numbers about his recent string of starts:
- Has 16 starts where he has pitched 7.0 or more innings with 1 or fewer runs setting a club record (he had 15 in 2010 Cy Young season).
- Has a current 9-game winning streak to tie his career-high…since June 17 he is 9-0 with a 1.40 ERA (17 ER, 109.0 IP), 100 strikeouts and a .183 opponents batting average…last loss was June 12 vs. the Padres.
- In 5 starts in August went 4-0 with a 1.08 ERA (5 ER, 41.2 IP), including the 23rd perfect game in MLB history Aug. 15 vs. the Rays.
- Heading into Tuesday’s games, leads the Majors in ERA (2.43), innings pitched (196.7) and 3rd in strikeouts (184).
And here is the highlight reel from Felix’s shutout vs. the Twins last night: